1st Team Sponsor

Your support is very much appreciated, thank you!

Please click on the logo for more information from our sponsor of the week

clothingforwork-logo-email-200 (002).jpg

u14 lions

News and Information




Latest News:



Coaches, parents or players can contribute to this page.

Match reports, information, announcements etc can be submitted here.

Match Report:

Durham County Under 14’s Saturday League – Division 1.

Match day report – No.11

Saturday 30th January 2016

 Washington AFC 4 – 1 Tyneside Pumas La Coruna


It was back to football for the second week in a row today for the boys – Woooh!!!. This time the boys were playing the ‘home’ return fixture against Tyneside who the boys had comprehensively beaten on the opening day of the season. With the Northumbria Centre pitches still being unplayable we were grateful to be given the use of a pitch at Red House in Sunderland by Gary Gilby, father of Lewis. Without this gesture there would have been no game so the offer was much appreciated. The pitch itself, although being quite bobbly was in pretty decent condition bearing in mind the recent prolonged poor weather that there had been. As if to compound the recent weather matters, the weather for the match was appalling – although dry, there was a hurricane force arctic gale blowing down the length of the pitch, freezing conditions for everyone concerned!!!

With the boys continuing the winless streak last week at Brandon they knew that they would be in for a tough game and matters were made worse on the morning of the game when we lost both Louie and Harvey due to illness.

The Washy squad for the game was now down to 13 players so a decent run out for all available was anticipated. The boys lined up with Josh in goal, with a defensive back four of Adam, Carl, Lewis Mc and Kyle. In midfield were Alex, Jack, Joe, Lewis G and Callum with Lewis A up front for the first time this season. Kieran and Liam took their places on the side lines for the opening stages of the game.

The game got underway with Washy using the advantage of the ‘gale’ in the first half. As can be the case in these circumstances, playing with the wind caused its own problems with the opening stages being littered with mistakes caused by overhit passes etc so a frustrating morning was in prospect. As one would have expected the Washy boys were firmly entrenched in the Tyneside half for long periods with the opposition only managing to get beyond the half way line on a couple of occasions. Having said that, Tyneside battled gamely and Washy were unable to create any clear cut chances in the first quarter of an hour or so. Washy’s line-up was then further depleted with the withdrawal of Kyle due to illness as well so a re-shuffle took place at the same time as Liam and Kieran entering the game. The first chance that came Washy’s way was created by a good run and right foot shot by Callum which forced the keeper into a save, the ball falling to the on-rushing Alex who somehow managed to steer the ball over the open goal from 3 yards!!! The boys continued to dominate proceedings without threatening until the closing stages of the half. Another run down the right hand side by Callum ended with the ball being squared across goal to the near post where Lewis A managed to squeeze the ball past the keeper with a right foot effort into the net for his first goal of the season (1-0). Having made the breakthrough, it was anticipated that further goals would follow but Tyneside held firm until minutes before the half-time whistle when Washy extended the lead. Kieran’s near post corner kick was flicked on by Lewis G to the waiting Lewis A at the back post who in turn steered the ball past the defender on the line for his second goal of the game (2-0). Although pressing for the final minutes of the first half, Washy couldn’t break through the Tyneside rear-guard action and had to settle for the 2-0 score line at the break.


Half – time:    Washington AFC 2-0 Tyneside Pumas La Coruna.


With the boys not taking full advantage of the wind in the first half, everyone knew that it was going to be a ‘backs-to-the-wall’ effort in the second half and that the boys would need to keep possession a lot better when playing against the ‘gale’.

As had been the case with the first half, the wind was playing a major factor and it was now Washy’s turn to be penned back in their own half. With Josh’s kicks coming back to the edge of the penalty box, the defence was put under tremendous pressure with Tyneside going close on a number of occasions. One effort direct from a wind-assisted corner, looked like it was going in until Josh managed to back pedal and get his finger tips to the ball, deflecting it onto the post – a tremendous save. The defenders then managed to clear the danger but Washy were living dangerously. Washy’s midfield was in a more combative mood second half and were assisting the defence at all times as well as trying to push forward whenever they could. The Tyneside pressure finally told when their striker managed to find himself one on one with Josh, the forward calmly finishing into the bottom corner (2-1). Positional changes were made to try and bolster up the rear-guard action with Kieran dropping into defence to make a back five with Joe pushing up front to try and hold up the ball when we could get hold of it and get beyond the half way line!!! The boys (and coach) were living on their nerves at times as Tyneside went close on a couple of occasions but as the half wore on, the boys finally started to play the ‘short passing and support’ game that was required given the weather conditions. From one of these rare attacks, Washy were able to extend the lead when a fine passing move involving the midfield allowed Joe to control the ball and feed it into a supporting Lewis A who in turn drilled a low right foot shot into the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the box to complete his hat-trick (3-1). This effort seemed to finally knock the stuffing out of Tyneside and Washy were able to control the final few minutes with no worries. Washy had the final say in the game when, pushing forward from left back, Alex managed to wriggle his way past a number of defenders (with good ball control I should say!!!) to un-leash a powerful right foot shot past the keeper from just inside the corner of the box (4-1). This was the last action of the game with the referee blowing for full time before the game was re-started.


Full – time:   Washington AFC 4 – 1 Tyneside Pumas La Coruna.


Todays Team Line-Up:                                                              Goals scored to date (incl Cup):

  1.  Joshua McQuade                                                                               0

  2.  Kyle McQuade                                                                                    1        

  3.  Lewis McVenea                                                                                   0

  4.  Callum Harland                                                                                  7

  5.  Alex Walton  - 1 goal                                                                          5

  6.  Joseph Brookes                                                                                 11

  7.  Kieran Ellis                                                                                         16

  8.  Jack McIntosh                                                                                       0

  9.  Harvey Too-Chung – absent ill                                                          7

  10.  Louie Moore – absent ill                                                                     7

  11.  Liam Potts                                                                                             1      

  12.  Lewis Alderson – 3 goals                                                                     3

  13.  Adam Green                                                                                          0

  14.  Carl Whitaker                                                                                        0

  15.  Lewis Gilby                                                                                            0


Match Overview

A hard fought victory stops the win-less streak but Tyneside put up a good effort. The conditions made a lottery of the match but the Washy boys came out on top in a hard fought game. With a somewhat depleted team, the boys stuck to their tasks and were rewarded at the end.

The standard of football was poor in general due to a mixture of the pitch and the weather but when the boys finally managed to start playing actual football i.e. pass and move, they showed that they are a match for most teams in the division. The boys showed great character throughout despite the bitter cold, and we hopefully look forward to playing again next weekend, this time in temperatures above 0 degrees!!

A couple of individual performances need to be mentioned – namely Lewis A and Kieran. Lewis showed great character throughout the game today and was called upon to play in a more accustomed attacking/ forward role rather than his defensive duties that he has carried out successfully this season to date. A hat-trick was fine reward for his efforts. Kieran, once again for the benefit of the team, proved his worth in various positions throughout the game and along with the rest of the defence held firm even if some of the football was ‘agricultural’ at times.

Next League game:  Saturday 6th February 2016 v Whitburn & Cleadon (Away).




Match Report:

Durham County Under 14’s Saturday League – Division 1.

Match day report – No.12

Saturday 6th February 2016

 Whitburn & Cleadon 0 – 4 Washington AFC 


Yet again it was back on the road for the Washy boys with another away game. This time it was the relatively short journey across to Cleadon so the boys couldn’t use jet-lag as an excuse for a poor performance today!!! Today’s game was the return fixture against a team who the boys had comprehensively beaten earlier in the season but nothing could be taken for granted as the opposition had 5-6 new players in their ranks for this game who hadn’t played in the first encounter. As has been said before, there are now no easy games in the division as all teams have made improvements as the season has progressed.

It was back to a full strength squad for Washy today with all 15 players available so initially the boys started with Josh in goal, a back four of Carl, Jack, Lewis Mc and Alex supplemented in midfield by Callum, Liam, Joe, Kyle and Lewis A with Kieran back up front again. Louie, Adam, Lewis G and Harvey waited in the wings on the touch line for their entrance.

The game got underway in damp, wet conditions with Washy being put on the back foot by the home side. With W&C winning all the midfield battles and picking up any second balls, Washy were being punished for any sloppy play. Although the midfield saw plenty of the ball in the early stages, they were unable to bring Kieran into the game as a number of passes went astray which in turn heaped more pressure on the defence as the midfield were then out of position. Washy were then dealt an early blow when Carl had to leave the game with slight knee ligament damage so an early re-shuffle was required. The necessary level of composure on the ball from the boys was also sadly lacking throughout the early stages of the game which was a worrying situation. It could be seen that the W&C side were more committed than Washy in the early stages of the game and several chances were created by the home team in that period with the team being indebted to Josh, not for the first time this season, for getting them out of it. On a couple of occasions W&C were left with one-on-one situations with only Josh to beat but he stood up tall when required to pull off some excellent blocks/ saves to keep the team in the game , and to keep the scores level. Washy were barely troubling the W&C goal but came close to opening the scoring against the run of play when Kieran managed to hit the back post from a corner kick, the ball somehow avoiding Joe on the line!!

With the first round of substitutions it was felt necessary to solidify things at the back even after hitting the post, so Kieran was once again deployed into the defence with Lewis A moving back up front into a role that he successfully carried out last week. Midfield personnel were switched/ replaced as necessary to try and give the boys’ equal playing time. The changes paid immediate dividend when a W&C attack was cleared by Kieran. His clearance from inside the Washy box, sailed over the top of the W&C defenders and was picked up by the on-rushing Lewis A who coolly dispatched his shot past the on-rushing keeper despite the home sides’ shouts for offside (0-1).

After taking the lead, somewhat against the run of play, the Washy boys got a grip of the game and started to dominate possession again without creating any opportunities. The rest of the half was generally a midfield tussle with both teams finding it hard to break down the defences which remained on top.


Half – time:    Whitburn & Cleadon 0-1 Washington AFC.


The half time break appeared to re-energise the boys and Washy started on the front foot straight from the kick off. The boys were now dominating the midfield area and were winning their individual battles which were causing W&C a number of problems. Although the final pass was sometimes astray the boys were looking more threatening when attacking and their work ethic couldn’t be faulted. Washy kept up the pressure and were rewarded with a second goal when the midfield finally managed to un-lock the defence and thread a through ball through to Lewis A who once again finished right footed past the keeper (0-2).

W&C heads didn’t go down and they continued to press whenever they had possession but fine team work all round kept them at bay with Josh only being brought into action occasionally. With confidence now growing the boys looked to extend their lead and this was forthcoming when a fine passage of passing football from defence through to midfield found Louie in space wide of the penalty box on the left hand side. He drove towards the goal and placed a fine left foot shot across the keeper into the corner of the net (0-3).

Washy were now in full command of the game and continued to play on the front foot looking for further goals. The final goal of the day wasn’t long in coming and brought about another hat-trick for Lewis A – no, he doesn’t get to keep the match ball!!! The ball broke to Lewis outside the box and he just managed to get enough pace and curl on his shot for it to evade the back pedalling keeper and nestle in the back of the goal for another well-deserved hat-trick (0-4). With the fourth goal coming in the last ten minutes the result was beyond doubt and so various personnel and positional changes were made to see out the game and a well-deserved for Josh in goal!!!


Full – time:   Whitburn & Cleadon 0 – 4 Washington AFC.


Todays Team Line-Up:                                                              Goals scored to date (incl Cup):

  1.  Joshua McQuade                                                                               0

  2.  Kyle McQuade                                                                                    1        

  3.  Lewis McVenea                                                                                   0

  4.  Callum Harland                                                                                  7

  5.  Alex Walton                                                                                         5

  6.  Joseph Brookes                                                                                 11

  7.  Kieran Ellis                                                                                         16

  8.  Jack McIntosh                                                                                      0

  9.  Harvey Too-Chung                                                                              7

  10.  Louie Moore – 1 goal                                                                          8

  11.  Liam Potts                                                                                             1      

  12.  Lewis Alderson – 3 goals                                                                    6

  13.  Adam Green                                                                                         0

  14.  Carl Whitaker                                                                                       0

  15.  Lewis Gilby                                                                                            0


Match Overview

Another hard fought victory after a somewhat scrappy opening makes it back-to-back wins but W&C, with the aid of their new players, made the game a much sterner test then the previous match.

A few individual performances need to be mentioned – namely Lewis A, Kyle and Josh.  Lewis, as he did last week, showed great enthusiasm throughout the game today and a hat-trick was fine reward for his efforts. Kyle once again proved his worth in various positions throughout the game and his ‘never-say-die’ commitment and great attitude was superb and finally, but not least Josh. Josh came to the front in the first half when his team needed him and kept the team in the game when others were struggling in front of him. Without the saves the boys would’ve had a mountain to climb and a ‘clean’ sheet was a just reward for his efforts today.


Next League game:  To be confirmed – weather dependant.